Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Waiting patiently


Some things are worth waiting for. I waited 3 years for a bare pseudobulb to bloom. I guess I just wanted to see if it would actually work. My mom gave me a back bulb from when she last repotted one of her cymbidiums. It sent up premature spikes in the past but this is the first time a full grown spike with full size blooms (7) actually survived. Now let's see if I can get it to rebloom again for next year.

I'm looking forward to attending this years Pacific Orchid Expo. I've decided to thin out my modest orchid collection in pursuit of a more organized theme - mini plants with mini flowers. My 'mini' collection includes a Dendrobium 'Mingle's Sapphire, Oncidium 'Twinkle', Miltonidium 'Rosey Sunset Pink Bouquet' indoors and Dendrobium kingianum outside. I'd love to bring it in so I can enjoy the scent but it has bugs now and well, they need to stay outside. I have 7 cymbidium pots outside, one that grew the pretty flowers above, another that has standard size pink flowers and the rest are slightly mini-cyms that are purpley-burgundy-brown. The pink & slightly mini-cyms are divisions from my mother-in-laws plants. Unfortunately, I don't know any of their names.

For more fabulous photos of orchids from all around, including previous Pacific Orchid Expos, I recommend checking out Eric in SF's photos. Don't know the man, but I'm a fan of his photos.

3 comments:

christina said...

Eric in SF is not related to the Eric from my previous post. Like I said, I don't know the man who takes the awesome photos. Eric, my husband, is my fabulous husband. While he does take the occasional picture or 2, they're usually not of orchids.

rpaulv said...

I've had two orchids in my life. One died, and the other one, well, it just grows those roots all over. their high maintenance, eh?

christina said...

they're not so bad, definitely less maintenance than a pet. by nature, homes aren't the ideal place for plants but with some tweeking, moving them to a place they like, feeding/watering them, they can adapt. but maybe you shouldn't listen to me, i've killed a boston fern.