Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dedicated to the LRP boys

A 'gift' Eric found for me - Justin Timberlake & Andy Samberg with their Saturday Night Live Digital short "D*** in a box".

I'm a little late, this episode ran around Christmas-time and was re-run again just this past Saturday. But it was new to me and totally took me back to a crazy incident involving a Color Me Badd hit, my friend Dave, and some unwitting girls at a bus stop.

"I Wanna Sex You Up" was the song. Our friend Dave gave me and some other friends rides home after school. He was a big CMB fan. One time, just a few blocks from my house, he had us all roll down the windows while he popped in the tape and he serenaded a couple of girls at the bus stop. It was hilarious and embarrassing at the same time.

Yes, someone wrote those lyrics, someone put it to song, then it was recorded and played over the pop airwaves for all the world to enjoy. But for Dave to turn around and interpret it in his own way to complete strangers, unexpected and just insane! I don't know if he actually thought he could get a name or a number, but it didn't seem to matter. His singing should have been enough to win them over. As with the skit, for any occasion that may or may not require a gift, forget the material goods. All a girl needs, wants even, is a "D*** in a box."

The clothes, the hair, the hand gestures, the 'tude and simple dance routines from the short video remind me so much of my goofy guy friends from them days. So if you're out there - guys from the LRP - I dedicate this song and skit to you, with special shout outs to Dave, Oren, Norm, Gary and Rome. I can see you guys concocting something like this.

2 comments:

Anastasia B. said...

Ha! I totally think of high school, too! They still play that video from time to time on VH1 Soul. For a minute there I thought you were going to bring up the incident where he totally humiliated that poor girl at the bus stop...I think you actually knew her...

christina said...

*cackle* I did know her... oops :)

You know what song I heard the other day that totally took me back?!

"One more fry, you didn't know how much I loved you... One more fry, you didn't know how much I cared"

I was cracking up all by myself with my cubemates trying hard to ignore me and my inside joke.

Makes me want to write "SNAGLZ" all over your book covers, hahahaha!