Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Waiting and not left wanting

I saw a new (to me) episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, when he and his brother took a trip to Uruguay. There's a segment of him enjoying dinner with Chef Francis Mallman of El Garzon and Mallman was talking about enjoying the wait for love of a woman, even waiting in line. I can empathize. No, not about the waiting for the love of a woman, but enjoying the wait, and also, cultivating the patience to go with it.

Some people may see this is a sign of weakness - waiting for things to happen, for life to happen. But I don't think that's so. Life is already too short as it is. And for the most part, I live a good, happy life. I am in no rush to let it slip by in a blink. I'm all for extending the experiences that I take pleasure in, smelling the flowers (and taking photos of them, too), and cutting short all the hideous moments I'd rather forget.

If I really like doing something, I will do it slowly, like cooking and baking. Sometimes even cleaning. And eating. I normally eat slowly, but if the food is super-tasty, expect me to be the last diner to finish eating. The image of a little kid playing around with sad mashed potatoes and peas on a plate because she hates it - not me. If I had to eat something but did not want to, I'd inhale it so it wouldn't be in my face anymore.

To quote Greg Anderson: "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." I am slowly working out how I can be less selfish in my effort to slow time down. (Note that many of my preferred activities are solitary ones.) I am finally learning to appreciate that the journey is much more enjoyable when experienced with people I care about. That's another story for another day.

No comments: